Jan 20, 2014

The recent article in the New York Times about Lisa Bonchek Adams’ fight with cancer certainly stirred up some emotional comments. It is no wonder. We all have strong emotions and values about the way we want to live until we die. Some of us want any and all heroic measures to keep us alive in a “battle” with a terminal illness. Others want to be pain-free, allowed to live through the natural course of the illness. For me, the good thing about  media of this sort is that it spotlights the choices we have in our society. But we do have to speak up and be heard.


Everyone has some ideas about how they want to live until they die. Unfortunately, we are not very good about speaking up for ourselves, even when we are completely lucid. If I am in a car accident, or have a stroke, or just senile, I better make sure that I have already made it clear to my loved ones, what kind of life I want before I die. We all have a choice. Every state now has laws about patient’s rights. We just need to speak up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment